Wednesday, November 08, 2006

communal sprouts

awakening

Brian has said that this particular plant is the most beautiful in our current garden; I agree. It comes from the Latin brachium and the Italian brocco meaning "ARM" or "BRANCH" or (my personal favorite) "SPROUT."
I wrote a poem about it a while back - HERE.

But I just thought I'd share some pics (as of 10/31/06). This garden experience has been very new to me. I still don't know how you "reap" lettuce ... I mean, do I just tug on the green stuff, wash & eat? Are there special lettuce scissors that don't cut straight, but instead slice in a wavy-pattern that replicates the natural wave of the lettuce leaf? See, I just don't know!!! ... If the scissors exist, they are not in the little red box-o-tools near the garden and so I blame Brian for that.
What is in the little red rusty box is our slightly unkept journal of the garden. It will be fun to post some of those entries, maybe here, and to remember the experience.
Brian, Richard, and I haven't figured the details out (just yet), but we're confident this is the beginning. - Growing food together, celebrating community work, and sustaining one another.

For now, check out the sprout.

shaun's flickr

technorati tags: , , ,

No comments: