Saturday, July 08, 2006

Sedona, Arizona

awakening
I was entering my books in to LibraryThing and I stumbled across a poem I had written in December on vacation in Sedona. While we were there, my father-in-law, Paul, and I got in to the habit of rising early enough to view the sunrise from some spectacular vantage points.

This was written after a sunrise at Airport Mesa.

December 27, 2005 : Sedona, Arizona

We sit in darkness and wait for the sun
    pulled from its rest
    by creation anticipating.

Like a child, even it resists the morning
    hovering there on the brink
    of wake and sleep.

The trembling needles of the pine,
The blue rock begging to burn orange,
The grey valley below:
    All in one voice
    they cry out to be warmed;
    All in one voice
    they cry out for the morning.

At last, light stirs, yawns and stretches
    clipping only the highest peaks
    the most desperate now relieved.

The cold, gathers and rushes to the new dawn
    rushes over our backs
    leaving a shiver in its wake.




technorati tags: , ,

1 comment:

Richard Carpenter said...

Brian, thank you for posting this poem. Having just been in AZ and having driven past Sedona, I feel close to this poem. But what makes me feel closer to the poem is the way you describe the sun waking the rocks-the rocks crying out for the morning. The part about the highest peaks being the most desperate made me want to stretch my soul to the awakening light. But my favorite part is that about the cold gathering and rushing across your back leaving a shiver in it's wake. Except it was my back that the cold was rushing across. I have been in that place and your poem took me back and yet I was in a new place.
This is a great poem, in my humble opinion.